From 12 to 19 April 2017, Federal Councillor Ueli Maurer travelled with a delegation from the Confederation and Swiss financial centre players to Asia. Various meetings with ministers and authorities, state institutions and financial centre players took place in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Singapore. The talks focused on bilateral and multilateral issues, and concrete cooperation at the state and private-sector levels.
Review of Federal Councillor Ueli Maurer's trip to Asia
Federal Councillor Ueli Maurer's trip to Asia with financial centre representatives ended in Hong Kong on 19 April. Following Beijing, Shanghai and Singapore, the opportunity was taken in Hong Kong too to seek talks with authorities and financial centre institutions, and to explore shared interests.
The objectives to promote the financial centre recommended in the October 2016 report of the Federal Council on financial market policy were decisive elements.
With ministries, authorities, institutions, associations and companies in important target markets for the Swiss finance industry:
- a uniform, coordinated and effective public image was achieved;
- the strengths of the Swiss financial centre were emphasised;
- Switzerland's foreign financial policy interests were actively safeguarded;
- doors were opened in a forward-looking manner for the Swiss financial sector with regard to international business.
Under the leadership of Federal Councillor Maurer and State Secretary Jörg Gasser, over 30 bilateral meetings and several promotional events with stakeholders were held before a broad specialist audience in five Asian cities as part of the schedule for this trip, which was carried out for the first time in this format.
Either the continued willingness to cooperate was reiterated or ideas and impetus for new projects and/or concrete progress were achieved in the following areas. These will be fleshed out in the weeks and months ahead:
- Positioning in multilateral bodies
- Strategic dialogue on financial and economic issues
- Market access
- Investment and infrastructure projects (including risk management and analysis)
- Establishment of Asian banks and cooperation with them
In the medium term, such trips and similar ones will play a key role as a financial market policy tool for Switzerland.
Switzerland has an embassy in both Singapore and Beijing, a consulate general in both Shanghai and Hong Kong, as well as three Swiss business hubs which also actively support the interests of the Swiss finance industry locally in collaboration with the FDF.
A trip with four stages
Beijing, 12-14 April
Shanghai, 15-16 April
Singapore, 17-18 April
Hong Kong, 19 April
From the media