From "Finance Department" to "Federal Department of Finance FDF"
The current official name "Federal Department of Finance FDF" has only existed since 1979. When the Swiss federal state was founded in 1848, Federal Councillor Martin J. Munzinger took charge of the "Finance Department" as the first official custodian of Switzerland's finances. Under Federal Councillor Johann Jakob Scherer, it was merged with the "Trade and Customs Department" 24 years later, in 1873, and renamed the "Finance and Customs Department". This name was kept for over 100 years, until the government decided to standardise all department names at the end of the 1970s. From then on, the names of all seven departments had to contain the terms "federal" and "department". Finally, the FDF came into being under Federal Councillor Georges-André Chevallaz. Customs, or rather the "Federal Customs Administration FCA" to be precise, remained part of the department during this name change.